My DH has the toughest rating system this side of Russia. My husband is a frequent subscriber to the scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the highest ranking system. He has used it regularly in our 14 years of marriage. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest - how would you rank that dinner, baseball game, movie, car, date, trip, job, kid, marriage--you name it and my DH has probably ranked it somewhere between 1 and 10.
The good part of DH's rating system is you always know where you stand in every aspect of life. The bad part of his rating system is he is one tough rater! Once, I made his most favorite meal of chicken and rice--he ooohed and awed at the famousness of how great it tasted. So, I asked him, "DH on a scale of 1-10 what would you give my chicken and rice?"
"Man, this is so good - it's at least a 7," he replied.
"A seven? A seven?" I shrieked. "That's a C = are you telling me my chicken and rice is average?"
He ended up giving it a high 8 (still offensive I know - but at least I wasn't average anymore).
He's given vacations a 7--that I thought were an absolutely fabulous 10. Musical numbers in church? He's yet to hear a song worthy of a 10 (and I'm singing in half of them so it's extra insulting). My blog? a 7 (which will surely be changed to a 5 if he reads this hehe). His favorite TV show is Heroes - and he LOVES the dang show - his rating for it? An 8. Well - it is a high 8 of course.
I'll admit, for a while, it was a competition for me. I wanted a ten! I'd take it anyway I could get it. I'd cook my best chicken enchiladas ever - 7. His favorite Taco Soup - 8. French Toast Souffle? 7.5. Lasagna-7. You name it - I cooked it and he ranked it as a 7 or 8. This was after he would rave at the delectability of it.
Finally, the day came when I realized I wouldn't be receiving a 10. EVER.
Picture it: A cool November evening in countrified Idaho. His mother had just put the final touches on a meal divine. A meal that I had tried to duplicate to my best ability (receiving his highest mark of an 8). It was DH's favorite: Chicken Parmesan.
He took 2 bites. Oohed and aahhed. And said, "Mom! This is so good. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest--I give it a......10."
It was a sad day really. A day when I discovered that the scale I was being rated against, was weighted heavily against his mothers cooking. It was on that day that I gave up trying to please his impossible scale. It's just too tough. I can't beat it. I've accepted it and moved on. (Okay-so maybe I haven't moved on quite yet. Secretly, what I want is your surefire recipe that would knock the socks off of DH and earn me a 10 on his tough scale.)
Retraction? I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that last night after dinner (sloppy joes)--I totally tried to set my DH up when I asked, "So how would you rank this dinner on a scale of 1-10." He said, "This was so good - I'd give it a 10." Of course, he denied having previously read my blog - but I secretly think he did and he was trying to make me feel guilty - which it did.
8 comments:
I guess I am just lucky that Alan's mom is not a good cook. She is, however, a wonderful housekeeper and I can not and never will be able to live up to that. I have a great recipe for chicken piccata that you should try. I will do whatever I can do to help you get your ten!
Hook me up (email or post here) with your chicken piccata - and while your at it give me Juliet D's fancy sourcream cookies! That would for sure win some points.
on a scale of 1 to 10 I give this post about a 6.
I would have bumped it up to a 7 but I didn't understand the "countrified Idaho" part.
Try out your new winning recipes on fast day...being hungry all day makes the food taste even better. I hope you rate him on all things in return!
I am so not the type to make this comment (ok maybe secretly I am) but Nic there has got to be somewhere out of the kitchen that you could get a 10.
Hey I didn't say anything bad....where is you mind. hee hee
Pam, 15 out of 10 ;)
Ummm - Pam I assume you are talking about my stellar game of ping pong? Yes, DH you are true - that is at least a 15.
I definitely was thinking ping pong or dancing or .....whatever you were thinking:)
Post a Comment