Obviously, I didn't have a great love for Sally. But DH absolutely HATED the hat! Everytime he came home from work he'd comment - I haven't seen the top of your head in months. He'd even take it away from her to let her "head breathe". He tried everything to have her give Sally a rest. Sally became her security blanket - and Savvy refused to go anywhere without it. Savvy wore it so much that it started to get all balled up and nappy.
As the days got warmer, DH and I reminded Savvy that Sally would have to go into retirement for the spring/summer/fall months. We set a Sally Moratorium date of March 20th (the first day of Spring Break). Secretly, DH and I would rub our hands together in glee as we thought of Sally's last day on this earth--because we both knew that Sally would not be returning for another winter in our household. We had decided that Sally would ride with us to AZ to visit friends. On the long car ride, Sally would need some air. As DH gave Sally air outside the window - he would "accidentally" let go - and Sally would spend the rest of her days keeping a cactus warm on those cold desert nights.
Spring Break was only a week away, when Savvy brought to light some horrible news. She had LOST Sally at the swimming pool. "Oh cruel, cruel, world!" she dramatically cried. "Why couldn't you wait a few more days? I didn't even get to say goodbye!"
"TGIG!" (thank goodness it's gone) DH and I secretly whispered.
It's possible that Grandpa might make Savvy a new winter hat for next year - maybe he'll even make 7 or 8 hats for her in shades of light pink, sage green, pale yellow, light blue, navy blue, white, & cream (hint hint) - but Sally will always have a warm (albeit somewhat uncomfortable) spot in our hearts forever.
5 comments:
I didn't really get past the part that your DAD knit Sav a hat? What in the? Your dad knits? I love this information. So far I have only seen your dad as the big truck driving, horse trailer pulling, farm guy who was giving your brother a very hard time. I am loving this insight. Maybe he will teach Sav to make her own hats and then she will start an etsy shop and set you up with millions!
Now in all honesty - my Dad uses one of those circle knobby knitters - not actual knitting needles.
But, he definitely is a man of many hidden talents--when I was a jr in high school I got my hair cut short - and my dad trimmed it for me all the time. When the guys at work got wind of this they made a big sign that said, "Ron's Beauty Parlor" and hung it out at work.
He also sews--he made my kids these cute little denim harmonica holders and when I broke my foot twice at the age of 12 and 13 he sewed me a denim boot with eyelet lace across the top so I could play catcher on my fast pitch softball team.
Is it any wonder we call my dad the enigma?
So many things to say...Ron knits? How did I not know this? The hats are dang cute and I cannot believe you were actually going to huck it out the car window. And...so now you believe in posting pics of the kids? What changed your mind?
Nic, I am so glad to hear that this issue of wearing one thing to death is not only done in my house. For us it is a brown jacket which was really cute the first 20 days Kiana wore it then it got to the point that she never took it off. It would go weeks without being washed and she would even sleep in it. Now it has holes and strings hanging off and I threaten her all the time that I am going to throw it away. She finally concented to not wearing it to school anymore if I wouldn't throw it away but who knows it may be stuffed in her backpack to wear when I am not around. So be glad that Sally was lost when no one suspected you will not have to feel the guilt of the window toss or the late night sneak in the drawer(which is the point I am at):)
Love it that your Dad knits but that is no surprise when you think of how talented you are - you had to get it from somewhere.
HEY, DON'T TELL SA, BUT NO ONE IS HAPPIER THAN SUNNYSIDE UP. I WAS READY TO HELP SALLY MEET HIS/HERS DEMISE. SA HAS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL HEAD OF HAIR, BUT I DIGRESS. TRUST ME THE ENIGMA WILL STICK TO HARMONICA AND CAST COVERS TEHEE.
LOVE SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE
Post a Comment