If you haven't guessed this already, Savvy is a complete tom-boy. This can be a problem when she gets invited to girly birthday parties. There's a new place in town called "Sweet and Sassy". They do super girly themed birthday parties for little girls. The idea is - you go, pick out a fancy dress up outfit, get your nails and toe nails painted, your hair in an up-do - and last but not least - body glitter - everywhere! Then you walk the runway while they read some fluffy stuff about you - and the finale is a fancy picture of the famous girls.
In August, Savvy's best friend invited her to such a party. We had luck on our side, because it was fairly new and she didn't know too much about it. She went to the party (not kicking and screaming)- and I encouraged her to branch out and cooperate with the girlyness of it all. She went and hated pretty much every minute of it. She put on a dress and got the updo - but that was where she drew the line. She refused the nail polish and body glitter. In the end, we got a pretty cute picture that she thinks I destroyed.
Since August, she's been invited to two more parties at Sweet and Sassy. She couldn't attend the second one because we were in Idaho. But, the last one was in December and when she got the invite--she came home in tears. She begged me not to make her go - she said she just couldn't "bear to go" - that they made her dress up funny and they asked her weird questions and such (apparently they interview the kids to see their interests so they can read it while they do the catwalk). How could I force her to go? We made our excuses and she was footloose and fancy free.
Last month, I went visiting teaching to her best friends' mom--Sus. We talked about how well the two girls get a long even though they are completely different. We laughed about the Sweet and Sassy party that her daughter had invited Savvy to--and Sus told me what a good sport Savvy had been (even if there was a big frown on her face when they were doing her hair).
I mentioned to Sus that the part Savvy hated the worst was the runway - where you had to flounce out and be sparkly and sassy. She started to laugh.
I knew it was going to be ugly.
I was right.
Sus was laughing pretty hard at this point - and had to compose herself before she went on.
Definitely, ugly.
Apparently, one of the questions in the little interview was, "What's your favorite place to shop?" Sus said most of the girls said "Justice" or "The Mall".
Not my Savvy. What was her favorite place to shop? VF FACTORY OUTLET! Nice one. I'm sure Sus has never set foot in an outlet store--she's quite fancy. I'll confess I do shop at VF (ummm--it's mostly for school uniforms I promise--although their Levis are a steal of a deal)--but is it necessary for the fancies in my neighborhood to know about it? I wish Savvy had classed us up a bit and at least said the "Park City Outlets". Needless to say, my face stayed a permanent shade of red for the rest of the day.
2 comments:
That is so hilarioius! I am laughing out loud! It could have been worse - I'm pretty sure at least one of my kids would have said Savers. They love that place!
I remember that place! That is too funny. Hey, we need variety in our neighborhoods right?
Post a Comment