Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The First Day of School

Remember that scripture, judge not that ye be judged?

I'm reaping it 13-fold after my first day of school on Monday.

A big worry of my kids' during the first week of school...is losing their lunch box. I cannot count how many times during the first week of school {while they are still figuring out the lay of the land} that my kids lose their lunch box.

I'll confess. I used to think, "C'mon teachers! How hard is it to keep track of 25 lunchboxes. I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to explain to a bunch of kids that if they want to keep track of their lunch box--put it in the big, blue tote labeled Miss X."

Makes perfect sense.

Until Monday.

When I single-handedly lost 13 lunchboxes from our classroom.

Naturally, this wasn't discovered till the end of the day.

Tears were shed.

Humiliation was felt.

Guilt
was experienced.

In my defense, all but two teachers put their names front and center on the lunch box tote.

My teacher didn't.

So when 13 kids including my own flesh and blood--Savvy and Aussie asked me where to put their lunchboxes so they could head to recess--I directed them to the clear tote.

Oh sure, the room numbers were on them. But, if you think I remembered what room number my classroom was--you do not know me very well at all. I mean, I barely remembered what building I needed to be in. It is a well documented fact that my brain lacks the crucial navigational skill to keep me from getting lost.

{And you'd better believe that without diet coke fueling my system...we're lucky more lunchboxes weren't lost...and children.}

At the first sign of trouble, I immediately began taking down the names of the students of who {I} had misplaced lunchboxes. I was in school teacher mode like there was no tomorrow cause I was pretty sure if I didn't find these lunchboxes there would be no job tomorrow.

Savvy and I searched the entire 4th and 5th grade for extra lunchboxes--nothing.

Then we headed to the 2nd and 3rd grade building--still nothing although there was a extra Dora the Explorer lunchbox--but I was pretty sure a 4th grader wouldn't be caught dead with it.

We even asked the secretary in the office if any lunchboxes had been turned into the lost and found.

"What does it look like?" she asked.

An awkward explanation followed.

All that torture for nothing...because there wasn't a single, solitary lunchbox lost that day. Apparently, everyone else knew exactly where to put their lunchboxes.

Dejectedly, we headed to the lunchroom to meet up with the class who were waiting for parents to pick them up.

When what to our wandering eye should appear? Every single one of our kids were in possession of their lunchbox. It was Christmas in August! Magical-like.
{Well, not really magical so much as the teacher upon discovering 13 extra lunchboxes in her tote--returned them to the lunchroom.}

Hmm. I woulda never thought looking in the
LUNCH ROOM for LUNCH BOXES.


Genius. I tell you. Genius.

{Oh--and today? Our teacher labeled her lunchbox tote with her name. It's gratifying to see a teacher still willing to learn a lesson--talk about a life-long learner.}

So, what's the worst thing you've ever lost?

5 comments:

Heather said...

I love checkin in on your blog! You R so FUNNY!! I bet that school loves all the shenanigans you get yourself into. Glad no child went home w/o a lunch box. YEA!!

Anonymous said...

That is too dang funny. I wonder what fate the Dora lunch box met with....oh the first week of school, if that isn't shenanigan-city I don't know what is. When we moved to Logan I lost the remote to our stereo (which is the only way to make it do most of the things it does) and I've never found it. Where does a remote go? I remember putting it in a box, all the boxes have been unpacked...oh, and it was Paul's stereo. :( I'm officially off packing duty for all things electrical from now on.

Shannon said...

I've spent the day catching up on your blog! We were out of a computer for a while! I've missed all of your shenanigans! I remember when I was in 1st grade my metal Holly Hobbie lunch box got kicked in by some meany 6th grader! The worst thing I ever lost was a wood stick my Dad carved for me. The carvings told a story. It was lost when we moved into this house, we lost a box of things including the stick, everything else was replacable.

Pam said...

You almost turned into one of those teachers that loses things????? That is a great story. I bet the kids have forgiven you already since they did get to go home with their lunch boxes. You working again could really be an asset to your faithful blog readers look at the shenanigans already and it was only the first day. Keep up the mischief we all love it so.
I lose so much stuff all the time that it has gotten to be a joke with me. I think I know and then I don't.

Mary said...

My mind! and countless other important things!