A few days ago, my mom stopped by my house with a couple of my sisters' cute kids. I was just headed out the door (with Savvy) to Joann's and Costco--and so I invited them along. After promising the children ice cream at Costco--we set out to Joann's in search of fabulous fabric finds.
I had just finished checking out when I looked at the clock and realized that Costco would be closing in 30 short minutes The Costco near my house is about 10 minutes away.
I told my mom (who was waiting in line to get fabric cut) of the shenanigan--and she suggested that I head over to Costco and she'd meet me there. Naturally, all of the kids wanted to leave the fabric store and head to the ice cream store.
As we pulled in the parking lot, my mom called and said she was on her way. She was surprised I had made it so quickly--and was sure I had broken all sorts of speeding laws (which if you have ever driven with me--you would know that that was NOT true).
We buzzed through Costco like there was no tomorrow--the kids were highly motivated to move quickly as they were worried about the Eatery closing before they partook of the glorious
chocolate & vanilla twist ice cream.
As I finished up with my shopping and got in line, I gave my mom a call to see what was taking her so long to get there. She informed me she was just barely getting off the exit and she'd be there as soon as she could.
"You took the freeway?" I asked.
"Yes," she answered.
"The back streets are much faster," I said.
"How did you take the back streets?" she asked.
{"Very carefully," I thought to myself.}
"Umm. I just did," I replied.
It was time for me to find my Costco card--so I got off the phone and told the kids to watch for their grandma.
They all watched and watched for grandma--but she never appeared.
We got in line at the eatery--and still no grandma.
Finally, I called her and said, "Where are you?"
"I'm on my way up to the front, I was looking for eclairs in the back," she answered. "Oh, and order me a chocolate yogurt," she added.
I reached the front of the line and was about to place my order--when my cell phone rang.
It was mom.
"I'm at the eatery--did you take the kids out to the car?" she asked.
"Ummm. Mom. I'm ordering right now--what are you talking about?" I answered.
"Seriously, Nic, I can't see you anywhere." she replied.
"Mom. Which Costco are you at?" I asked.
"The one you always shop at," she said.
{Yikes! I do like shopping at another Costco better--less crowded--it's usually worth the extra 10 minute drive!}
"Errrr. That one is 20 minutes away--I figured there wasn't time to drive all that way and still get my shopping done. I'm at the one closer to my house instead."
Laughter began.
What a Shenanigan!
At least, the most important part of this trip was achieved: The kids got their ice cream.
At least, the most important part of this trip was achieved: The kids got their ice cream.
3 comments:
I'm glad your mom got in on the Sunday Funnies. I hope she got herself a chocolate yogurt!
We've totally been there with friends and meeting at the wrong Costco...at least we have several to choose from :-) The ice cream is ALWAYS a must have. I hope your mom got some too!
Sounds like something my dh and I would do. We can go on and on in conversation and not realize we are talking about two different things!!!! Lucky for your mom you had all the kiddo's!
Good ol' Costco, my kids love going there too.
Post a Comment