Saturday, August 23, 2008

URaDork

Last week, almost every day of our teacher training meetings, my friend, *Kallie's, cell phone kept going off. Apparently, setting her cell phone to vibrate only worked for incoming calls...not incoming texts. Since both her husband and friend sent her texts regularly, this proved to be a little embarrassing.

For most of the days of our training, Kallie had it set to a lovely chiming noise. It wasn't too obnoxious...but still awkward. I thought it was pretty funny...till I realized that people might think it was MY phone going off {because she was sitting next to me and acting like nothing was going on--she figured if she waited till the chiming stopped and then found her phone that no one would suspect it was her phone}.

On Friday morning, Kallie came to training proudly stating that she had finally figured out how to turn her phone...including texts...to vibrate. She had worked hard on this the evening before and was convinced her phone was fixed.

Halfway through our first lecture, this loud beeping noise--like morse code--went off. I mean, it was LOUD! There was no pretending that it wasn't her phone. If you could've seen the heads that whipped around to look at us, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those teachers ended up with whiplash it was pretty comical.

Kallie looked at her message, and a minute or two passed--and it went off again--and then again! It was loud! It was embarrassing! She finally went out to the hall to take care of a babysitting snafu.

After our first lecture ended, I said, "Give me your phone."

She laughed and handed it over. I found the text menu and changed it to vibrate. I wanted to make sure the phone was really set to vibrate--so I decided to send a test text.

I typed in my message--which said--URaDORK. {I know--real mature of me}. Then I asked her for her cell phone number so I could send it to her.

She gave it to me, I hit send--and nothing happened. We waited and watched and waited. Nothing happened.

We were sitting in an auditorium, so I figured we must not have good coverage in there and it would come through later.

Our classes started. The test text was forgotten.

Until 630 that evening.

I got a text {from Kallie's number} saying, "Who are you?"

At first, I thought it was Kallie being funny...till I looked up her number in my address book--and it didn't match the number she had given me.

I wanted to find a rock to crawl under.

As I was deciding what to do--ignore it, respond with something funny, apologize, blame my friend etc--I got another message.

"TrickyNic, I think Kallie gave you the wrong number." {TrickyNic is my automated signature for all the texts I send out--which is campy unless I'm sending it to a stranger}

I texted back (figuring I had called her husband a dork), "This is awkward. WhoRU?"
"My name is *Joe (Kallie's husband). I live in (my hometown). Where do you live?" {They were so setting me up..I knew they were on a date!}

I replied back, "I plead the 5th. But for the record, I used to be a model student--until I sat by Kallie at our meetings. She has corrupted me."

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent?

{Confession Time: Have you ever sent an email/text/left a mssg/for the wrong person?}

3 comments:

Pam said...

That story is full of shenanigans and I loved it. Corruption indeed. I was waiting for you to say that the wrong number message went to a deranged psycho that was coming after you for calling him a dork. But your ending was just as good :)

Anonymous said...

I love it, that could only happen to someone w/ the name Trickynic. I'm just impressed that you could figure out how to fix her phone when she couldn't and the fact that you text. I think it's rare to see people over 25 texting, or maybe I just tell myself that since I've yet to join the texting party. I've got to get on board though- any day now....

One Sassy Mama said...

Pammi--of course, when I received the first text..I imagined all sorts of horrible outcomes to my texting with a potential lunatic. Luckily, the lunatic was my friends hubby--heehee.

Ally--when you get a teenager {you young thing} you WILL learn how to text. I am super slow at it...but it makes it so much easier to keep track of my daughter.