It's embarrassing really.
Considering that a year ago, I couldn't even stand the sight of cats--me sponsoring a celebration for a cat is nothing short of a miracle.
In all honesty, cats used to and some still do make my stomach turn--what with the licking, the shedding, the hissing, the scratching--I mean who could love an animal like that?
Then somebody decided to surprise the kids (and me) with a kitty-cat for Christmas.
I recall the conversation going something like this:
I recall the conversation going something like this:
El Jefe: Guess what I bought today?
Sassy Mama: A really great Christmas present for me?
El Jefe: Yup--and you and the kids are going to go crazy with excitement...but I need you to ask a friend to hide it for us for a few days--so I'm letting you in on the surprise.
Sassy Mama:
El Jefe: It's a kitty! I bought a kitty!
Sassy Mama: You know I hate cats right? I mean, I was practically raised shooting, kicking and trying to maim cats. I've never even held a cat. They are spooky.
El Jefe: You're kidding!
He was shocked.
So was I.
But, knowing how much my kiddies wanted a pet--I took one for the team and the rest is history. An expensive history. But history nonetheless.
Now, even though we got Elvis for Christmas, the kids noticed on his shot records that he was born on October 21st. So, for the past couple of months, they have been planning Elvis' birthday party. {We celebrated it Sunday, because our weeknights are so busy.}
Elvis' Birthday Extravanza
Jordyn made him her famous brownies--note the giant "E"? I think she used up the whole bottle of sprinkles.
Austin took creativity to a whole new level and spelled out Elvis' name in blocks.
Savannah bought Elvis a kitty toy that scared him so bad he hid under the coffee table for an hour. I neglected to get a picture of said toy because he hid for too long.
{And using my best Elvis impersonation}
Happy Birthday, Kitty.
{P.S. And just to prove how far I have truly come from those cat-hating years...today when I was teaching my 4th Grade Language Arts class about nouns--I inadvertantly listed cat under "Person". All of the kids said, "But, Mrs. H! Mrs. H! Cats aren't people...they are things!"}
3 comments:
What in the kitty loving? Next thing you know you will be crocheting Savvy a new beanie out of cat hair. Ewww - I shouldn't have typed that - I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Two more things:
1. You are a nice mom.
2. You better stop posting pictures of J's famous brownies or I am going to be requesting a goodie package.
Happy Birthday Elvis!
You have gone over to the cat side big time. I guess maybe if my kids were older when we had our cat we might have celebrated its birthday too...big maybe.
It was a good reason for brownies though I will give you that. Give Elvis a birthday pettin' from me :)
Post a Comment