Tuesday, April 22, 2008

An Eclectic Statement

"With what price we pay for the glory of motherhood."
~Isadora Duncan

My wardrobe selection pre-carpool in the mornings is usually pretty dicey. It consists of flannel pj bottoms, a t-shirt (matching is optional), no bra, sometimes no shoes depending on how big of a hurry we are in, glasses, messy bed-head hair, unbrushed teeth - you get the picture and it's not a pretty one. I prefer to call it my eclectic fashion statement.

This morning, as I dropped off Jay and her fellow
Jr. High carpoolers -- I saw something that would've sent Jay into hiding for weeks. I witnessed a mom--in her flannel pj bottoms, barefoot, t-shirt with no bra, g's hanging out the bottom of her shirt, and uncombed hair--walking out of the Jr. High--
at peak drop off time. I'm sure her son/daughter forgot something in the car like a lunch - and she didn't want to have to run it back to the school after she had made herself presentable.

Now I'm not judging, because every mother has her cross to bear...but it takes a gal with a lotta guts...
...to be brave enough to walk into a Jr. High...
...pj clad and barefoot...
...in order to drop off a lunch to her
son/daughter's locker.

Wait a minute - that lady is a genius! She's discovered a new form of punishment--embarrass your children into submission. I bet it only took her one trip into the school and that child will never forget a lunch or homework in the car again.
She deserves a medal.

Hmmm....maybe I'll have to give that a try? Alas, I fear the horror would scar, dear Jay, for life.


"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it." ~ Mark Twain

4 comments:

Pam said...

That is a brave woman to go into the school like that. I'm pretty sure my kids wouldn't even know to be embarrassed because they are oblivious to what I wear and look like.
Scary is normal for them.
I totally can relate to your eclectic style though. I think it is one of the most popular, stand the test of time styles everyone is wearing it. It may not be the housecoats of old but it's pretty darn close.

Jolene said...

My old friend was having trouble with her 6th grade boy. He was acting up in class so she decided to go with him to school one day. All day she sat right by him at lunch, at the library and she even participated in the recess hijinks. He was super embarrassed - he hated every minute of it. She told him that if she ever got another call from his teacher reporting his bad behavior, she would show up in her pajamas and bathrobe. He never had another problem.

Like Pam, my kids wouldn't care or wouldn't notice. I wish I could think of something else to keep them from forgetting their lunch, instrument, homework or library books. Maybe a chain?

Jen said...

ok, it's been a while since i've been blog stalking, but Toby is at mutual tonight, and the comptuer is all mine! And, I just thought i'd let you know what generation I am!
You Belong in the Baby Boomer Generation

You fit in best with people born between 1943 and 1960.
You are optimistic, rebellious, and even a little self centered.
You still believe that you will change the world.
You detest authority and rules. Deep down, you're a non conformist.

not far off!

Beeswax said...

Yeah, I agree with Pam. If everybody else is doing it, why not me? I like not having to be ready at 7 am. It is one of the perks of motherhood.

I told my kids if they forget lunches, they have to pay for the sack lunch the school will provide. I'm NOT going in without a bra.

I love the Mark Twain quote. She enjoyed it? Sure she did.