Tonight was no different. I needed tinfoil and saran wrap. Of course, I had just returned from a grocery store that I love--but I had neglected to get those two items. It was a necessary evil that I go to Smitty's. Luckily, my two favorite baggers--Luigi and the Pirate made this shopping excursion more pleasant than usual.
For some time now, a sixtyish Luigi has been bagging my groceries. I hate to stereotype him - but let's face it - he's short, Italian, and has a bushy mustache - he is totally Luigi. In fact, all he needs is a pair of overalls and a green shirt and he could be Luigi for next Halloween. He's also quite friendly, and while I've never heard him say, "Mama Mia" - I know it's on the tip of his tongueNow, the pirate is a new character at Smitty's. I hadn't seen him until last Saturday. He is a man in his 70's with a gold stud in each ear. Tonight whilst shopping, I was on the phone with my dear sister, Jilly, and I told her that he is either a pirate or a person of a delicate persuasion.
Jilly then said, "Did you know pirates are real?"
"Yes, I'm staring at one right now," I replied.
Jilly then said, "No, I mean pirates are truly back to pillaging and terrorizing the open seas." (she read about it in some article).
Of course, the question remains, why in the world would a pirate be bagging groceries at a second rate grocery store--when he could be making millions at sea? Maybe it's the off-season? Retirement? Whatever the reason, one can only hope Johnny Depp follows the trend.
2 comments:
That's always the way isn't it? The close grocery stores are the stupid ones. (although they did just take the gross old Macy's closest to me and move to a nice new location just a few blocks further away.) But, we have lived near many a scary store in our time.
It sounds like you had some celebrity sightings at your store. Luigi and a real pirate...that is pretty famous. How come you are always so lucky. Heehee. Next time say something like "thanks matey" and if he smiles see if he has a gold tooth then you'll really know.
Post a Comment