Thursday, November 20, 2008

I ♥ Black Friday

Most people think of the Thanksgiving holiday as a time to see family, eat lots of good food and show gratitude for all things bright and beautiful.

Being the old-fashioned girl that I am, I'm obviously steeped in tradition I think of Thanksgiving as a time to open up that fresh, thick newspaper--for the Black Friday ads.

{Make no mistake..I'm nothing if not grateful.}


I have been shopping the day after Thanksgiving (aka Black Friday) sales ever since I can remember. I recall going with my mom as a teenager to hold her place in lines--and a tradition was born.


What can I say? We like us some good deals.


For the past couple of years, I have been visiting a fabulous "Black Friday" website. This website reveals the ads a good month before the elusive Thursday morning--which enables me to plan out my ultimate plan of attack for shopping the sales.

This year, I even signed up for their emails. So, now I get an email every time they update their website with a new ad.


Genius, I tell you. Genius.


With the Black Friday website..it's a win, win situation.


No more wondering if you'll have time to make your map of shopping {I used to do it in between dinner and pie}.


No more hassling with your mother or sister over who gets to read the paper first {my sis may seem quiet and sweet..but not when it comes to her paper}.


No more risks of the kids finding your treasured Christmas notebook because in your haste to make your list..you left in out in the wide open...{I'll never forget the year Jay picked up my notebook and started sounding out the Christmas list--thank goodness she was just learning to read.}


I totally ♥ Black Friday--do you?

8 comments:

Jolene said...

I love Black Friday shopping - for the same reasons as you. I have never heard of this web site - it is awesome. I love that you make instant friends at 4:30 in the morning with people waiting in line. I love the exceptional deals. I even love the rush of everyone going straight for something when the store finally opens its doors. What I really love is that Wal-Mart matches Black Friday prices.

Leslie said...

I love to go and people watch because some people are just down-right mean! I also love the cellphone-communicators. "Hey Jane, I'm at so and so store, what do you want me to get?" The pushing and shoving in hopes to get one of the 20 DVD players Best Buy has for cheap the guarding your cart because stealing out of someone's cart is apparently fair game if your not looking... I LOVE IT!!! Really, I DO! We do the Smith's Marketplace socks deal! -Jeb

jmemmott said...

Hey now Rockstar!

Heather said...

OMG, I love black friday! I too have been shopping on this day for about half of my life! Hubby knows he gets to spend the day with the kids while mom is off. We go with my mom and her bff and her two daughters and my sis and I. We have gone to Cali before and Tucson. Our goal is the mall of america when we have no more little ones that need us. :)

gotta go girl said...

As much as I love shopping as much as the next gal (and you know I love a sale!) we have a different tradition. We get together as women and children and dig out the Christmas movies and lounge and eat and watch and nap and watch and eat and nap. The laziest day of the year. I think it was born when all the men in the family would go motorcycle riding the day after Thanksgiving and we were stuck with the kids. But I just noticed that they don't go anymore (something about getting old and selling all their bikes). Maybe we should try the Black Friday thing!

Gayle Menlove said...

Lets hear it for the brave women who brave the dark and cold for a deal! Hey could you send me the email address. I need to map out a plan too!

Mary said...

Thank you, Thank you for passing on this site! I have my list ready to go now for Friday - I have only shopped this day a couple of times but this year me and Leon are planning on going out at 6:00 AM!

Sharla said...

Tried it once and you won't catch me dead there! Crowds drive me crazy- especially rude ones! Nope, the only way I'll ever go again is for a big ticket item that's gonna save me hundreds! ;)