"I Voted Today...Sorta". I'd totally get one of those. Because I really did try. It just so happened that I wasn't registered to vote.
Awkward. Yes.
Confession Time: I haven't voted since I lived in Arizona--which was over 3 years ago.
I'm not bragging.
But, it's not really my fault. It is stinkin' Arizona's fault. Did you know a drivers license in AZ doesn't expire till you turn 65? That means my drivers license did not expire until 2037. Are you kidding me?
Do you have any idea how great it is to not have to renew your drivers license every 4 years? Well, let me tell you--it is pretty much awesome . There are a couple of hazards though. IF you have an out of state license you cannot register to vote in your state. You also are at risk for a big ole' ticket if you get pulled over...which I managed to avoid by being an extra careful driver.
In August I decided that since it was a presidential election year I'd better get my act together
So, I went to our brand new DMV (it actually opened on the day I went), waited for 2 hours, and walked out with a brand new UT license--
Except I wasn't really registered.
Which I found out today.
{Luckily, I didn't have to stand in a huge line to find this information out. I walked in to my voters precinct. Glided right up to the desk. Told them my name. Found out I wasn't registered. Got sent to the troublemaker desk
And the rest is history. Only they didn't give me a sticker that said I voted. So, now I'm questioning whether or not my vote really counted. I mean, why did they not give me the sought after sticker?
So, how did voting go in your neck of the woods?

6 comments:
Too bad you don't still live and vote in AZ because you would have gotten a sticker and then you could have worn your sticker to Pete's Fish and Chips and gotten a free soda.
I voted, I also stood on the street and waved a YES on 102 sign for all to see. I felt like such a demonstrator!
Hey, I had to do Provisional voting too! - I went to my old district because I have not changed my address and they did not have me on their list so I went to Willow Springs and I was not on their list so I had to do the provisional voting also - I tried to unzip the "red lap top" (somehow I did not see the slit for our lovely ballots) to put my ballot in and the sweet vote volunteer about took my hand off - so humiliating! - Then she called me two hours later and apologized and asked me to come back and sign some paper she had forgotten to have my sign. - So I actually went to a voting venue 3 times yesterday! and now you tell me my vote most likely doesn't count - that stinks! I guess I should have been clued in when I didn't get a sticker!
Smooth sailing in Logan- walked right in, no line, voted, got my sticker and some tootsie rolls! Went home- total 15 minutes. It pretty much ruled. It was a good experience. The one proposition I cared about went the way I voted. Yeah democracy!
Voted. Got the sticker. Was there at the same time as everyone on Brown Farm Lane (except you Nic!. Good voting year for me. I have a sister who is afraid to vote. She is freaked about it. She won't admit she doesn't but WE KNOW. So I am going to tell her that McCain lost by only one vote. She will buy it and will stress for four years that it is all her fault that he lost the election. How's that for Sisterly love? That'll teach her!
Nicole same deal my way. I asked to register to vote when I got my licence, checked a box, and... nothing. Needless to say Steve voted for the family.
Early voting from the comfort of your home...it's the only way to vote. No Troublemaker Line!!!!
Loved your story though!
Post a Comment