Thursday, May 15, 2008

Shenanigan of the Day: Fantasia

Okay - I'm not one who usually blogs about Reality TV - mostly because then I would be outing myself for what I watch ...religiously...But, last nights American Idol has forced me to post outside of my normal boundaries.

In all honesty, you can't avoid weird stuff on AI when Paula Abdul is involved. But, last night's guest performer - Fantasia - was like watching a trainwreck--you wanted to look away but you couldn't. I had my finger on the fast forward button throughout her entire performance (?) -- but I couldn't bring myself to push it.

I don't know if it was her cherry-red hair, the fact that I had forgotten she had a lisp, her freshly straightened teeth, the screaming of the entire song, the weird back up singer-guy up in the rafters, her big self gettin' down with it, or the realization that she was lip-syncing her song (at the end, you could totally HEAR her singing - even though her lips weren't moving), --but watching her was mesmerizingly disturbing. Seriously, I was so stunned by her shenanigans - that Sayesha getting voted off became secondary (although YAY!).

The judges faces at the end of her performance said it all - Simon's. jaw. dropped. (I'm thinking in horror - it better be in horror!) Then, before the camera could cut away -- Fantasia tried planting a big ole smooch on Ryan - what in the world? That was some crazy stuff.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

I thought the just missed kiss with Ryan was AWKWARD!

Amy said...

Amen Nicole - that was the most uncomfortable thing to watch - but I too could not fast forward it. Simon's jaw was the funniest thing ever (and totally made watching the train wreck worth it). I missed the kiss for Ryan - I'll have to visit the wreck again! However, Emily was watching it with me and she said, "She's pretty" - I couldn't bring myself to correct my 5 year old on the horrible choice of hair color!

Pam said...

Did you also notice that she sang...I mean screamed half of the song while her back up singers sang the whole thing for her. What was that all about. Jon and I cracked up seeing Simons face...just that one shot was worth watching the whole freak show.
I'm so glad it's the two Davids though America got it right!!!!
David Cook all the way though baby. Let the rocker win already.

One Sassy Mama said...

Amy - can't wait till Emily's a teenager? hehe

Pammi - I still am mourning the loss of Michael Johns from getting the boot weeks ago -- but I too am thrilled both Davids are going for the title. May the best David win (I think they are both quite spectacular).