Today, as I was conducting in RS -- I announced the opening song and realized our chorister wasn't there. It immediately became my job. On a good day, I am pretty lousy at leading. Today, was far below
a good day.
I opened my hymn book and began leading a song I don't recall ever hearing, -- "Prayer is the Soul's Sincere Desire". Oh, and did I mention there were high notes! Admittedly, my alto voice did not appreciate it--therefore my singing was not spectacular.
My usual singing cronies -- also didn't appear to know the song. So, it was me sounding like an injured cat for 4 whole verses.
Why didn't I just stop with one? Well, loyal readers, I wanted to redeem myself on the second verse -- and when that didn't happen -- I just plodded on with that goal of redemption all the way to the 4th verse. Ay-yi-yi!
After the opening song/prayer, I continued my wonderful bout of conducting. Now, it was time for the practice song. Okay--in the deep recesses of my brain--I barely recognized the tune-- "Oh May my Soul Commune with Thee."
So, I began to lead--a little more confidently than before. By the end of the first verse, I realized I had been leading in 3/4 time and it was 4/4. Stellar. I tell you. Stellar. But, this time, I stopped after two verses--the learning curve was in place.
Finally, redemption was mine! The closing song was so easy--"Secret Prayer". I knew it by heart. I could have sang soprano, alto or even tenor -- all verses memorized!
We didn't have time for the closing song - as our lesson ended right on the hour-- but by golly we were going to sing at least one verse of this song.
I hate to be repetitive...but...
I opened my hymn book and began leading a song I don't recall ever hearing, -- "Prayer is the Soul's Sincere Desire". Oh, and did I mention there were high notes! Admittedly, my alto voice did not appreciate it--therefore my singing was not spectacular.
My usual singing cronies -- also didn't appear to know the song. So, it was me sounding like an injured cat for 4 whole verses.
Why didn't I just stop with one? Well, loyal readers, I wanted to redeem myself on the second verse -- and when that didn't happen -- I just plodded on with that goal of redemption all the way to the 4th verse. Ay-yi-yi!
After the opening song/prayer, I continued my wonderful bout of conducting. Now, it was time for the practice song. Okay--in the deep recesses of my brain--I barely recognized the tune-- "Oh May my Soul Commune with Thee."
So, I began to lead--a little more confidently than before. By the end of the first verse, I realized I had been leading in 3/4 time and it was 4/4. Stellar. I tell you. Stellar. But, this time, I stopped after two verses--the learning curve was in place.
Finally, redemption was mine! The closing song was so easy--"Secret Prayer". I knew it by heart. I could have sang soprano, alto or even tenor -- all verses memorized!
We didn't have time for the closing song - as our lesson ended right on the hour-- but by golly we were going to sing at least one verse of this song.
I hate to be repetitive...but...
...Redemption was mine!
I put on my biggest smile. Held my hand in a firm leading position. Made eye contact with the women I was about to lead. Listened (not too carefully)to the introduction of the song. And began to lead and sing in my loudest soprano voice. There was only one problem with my redemptive plan--I was singing the wrong song. Or should I say--the pianist was accidentally playing the opening song--the song I didn't know.
Curses.
I put on my biggest smile. Held my hand in a firm leading position. Made eye contact with the women I was about to lead. Listened (not too carefully)to the introduction of the song. And began to lead and sing in my loudest soprano voice. There was only one problem with my redemptive plan--I was singing the wrong song. Or should I say--the pianist was accidentally playing the opening song--the song I didn't know.
Curses.
5 comments:
Oh church just sucked today for us all it looks like. At least you were entertaining I bet. Leading is a pain-when people do it they make it look so easy, but it's not. I say redemption was yours just for sticking with it.
The old lady in my ward to leads the music did so with a drum stick today. Not the kind from a chicken, but still just as humorous. LOL
Let's look on the bright side of this. Those who don't know how to lead probably thought you were the cats meow up there. I'm sure they were all just amazed that you could do it all conduct, lead and sing.
Another thing why do people picked songs that we don't know? What's wrong with the oldies but goodies?
I just hope for your sake the piano player was playing the tempo right. Now that is the worst when the song is dragging and as the leader we can't do a darn thing about it so we painfully have to endure the slow song that goes on FOREVER!
Sierrah did part of her routine to "She's a Maniac"!
I had the worst experience with leading music. It was a stake expand ward council. First off, I don't know how to READ music or SING. Someone voluntered me to lead and for some ODD reason I thought I'd give it a try?? It was acapella, no piano player around as well?? It was the longest four verses I have ever sang!!??
I missed it. I miss everything being in Primary. That would have been fun to see. Just kidding love ya Nicole
Post a Comment