Friday, November 21, 2008

New Van Advice?

*Purple Pleasure and her Boyfriend Barney

Purple Pleasure is on its last legs...she's been a good ole' van. Oh sure, we've sunk thousands of dollars into her (I stopped counting once we hit the $3000 mark).

But, Hallefreakinlujah! It is finally time to start the process {and with El Jefe in the captain's chair...it will be a process} of looking for a new van.

Since, it has been so long (10 1/2 years, my friends) since we shopped for a new vehicle--
I need your help!

So, Loyal Readers {and lurkers}, what things do you consider must-haves in a new van/SUV/car? What colors do you like because right now I'm saying absence of color and El Jefe is leaning towards black cherry? Really? And finally, what brands have you loved..and what brands have done you wrong.

*Story behind the picture: For the last couple of months El Jefe has been driving Purple Pleasure {I know its such a sweet ride} to work because he also needs a new car. Anyway, another guy he works with has also been driving his sweet ride, "Barney" to work..just a couple of guys keeping it real. One day they happened to park by each other. Talk about a match made in junker heaven..it was kismet.

7 comments:

Mary said...

I LOVE the picture - did Jeff take it? You know I have never bought a brand new car. Leon always goes for the gently used best deal he can find - but I do think a TV/DVD is a must for any car. And I like a neutral color for cars: black, white, or tan

Leslie said...

I agree with Mary. and Ya for the newer car. I bet you are so excited. Merry Christmas present to you.

Jen said...

LOve the picture! Two guys keeping it real. That's hilar!

FIrst of all, I am a very discriminating car shopper--I hsopped for my current love my Honda Odyssey for years (we also come from the "gently used, good deal" philosophy.)

I will say, although it's a bit of a double-edged sword (my kids expect entertainment on rides to the neighbor!), the DVD player is my absolute must-have. Next time you drive to Phoenix, you stop and hit a new red box every day alone the way and you're smooth sailing!

I don't know about any other cars, but my van has a dual entertainment system--so the kids can watch a movie in the back with the headphones, and we can listen to the radio or CD up front. Sweet! Also has video game hookups although we've never ventured that far into cool-land!

If you go with a van, power doors are another on my must-have list. Kids nowadays don't even know how to shut doors themselves! Makes for a giant awkward pain in the carpool when you're constantly yelling "shut the door, ya morons!"

I wasn't sure about the leather and kids, but it's been awesome! Never stains, nothing soaks in and then reeks weeks later--just keep a thing of wipes in your car and hand 'em out like candy and you're clean as a whistle!

OK, that's my wordy two cents. My personal faves of cars (and I haven't shopped in years, so I'm not really up on anything), but I like: the Honda Odyssey for a van; and my friend LOVEs her Honda Pilot for an SUV. Hummm, can you tell we're Honda people? I also think those new cross-overs look like they might be worth a look-see!

Congratulations--although I will tell you now--I will never love a car like I love purple pleasure!

Jolene said...

You know I'm a gas guzzling, full size SUV kind of girl. I love all of the room - You can't believe the amount of Costco stuff I can get in the back of my burb. Plus, no one has to sit next to anyone else on the long drive to UT.

But, in my van driving days - the automatic door was a life saver - LOVED it!

If I was in your shoes, I would look at those smaller SUVs like the Equinox - I had one as a rental and I loved driving it. It was smooth.

gotta go girl said...

I agree. The DVD player where you can listen to books on tape while the children are silent with headphones (and their mouths slightly open as drool rolls out the corner of their mouth) on is the only way to go. I love my Odyssey but I have to refer you to two old blog posts that you need to consider. The first is on 11/4/07. The second I can't seem to find - sad. It was a particularly hilar' (if I say so myself) blog post about what Jolene was referring to.....that kids don't know how to shut doors.....Remind me to tell you the story since I can't seem to find it anymore on my blog. (But I will keep looking) And I think the seats in the Odyssey are kind of uncomfortable compared to my old domestic van. I think Domestic vans are more comfy.

Sharla said...

Auto doors are a must and the back-up camera! Love it! I also love my leather heated seats. Dvd player, and auto temp control are also nice, as is the navi. I would say go for Honda or Toyota (we currently own 2 Toyota Siennas- wanna buy one?! ;) ) especially because of the current situation of the American auto makers- ya never know what's gonna happen. Also, Honda & Toyota are known to be more reliable. Have fun car shopping!

~ej said...

we love our honda odyssey too...ours is 1999 and i want the newer larger one with the net in the back and the power doors. just got a cd player in ours....other than that...i'm easily pleased so long as it seats 7 ;-)
good luck...and cute side by side piccie :)