Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Going Dental...all Over the Place

Have you ever gone dental crazy at the dentist's office? I have. Twice. Once, a really long time ago--but I've blocked it from memory so I don't really remember why. The second time? Yesterday.

On Saturday night, a crown on my back tooth, broke off. So, I headed into the dentist Monday morning to get it fixed (DH was home this morning to tend the sickies--Savvy and Aussie).

Heading into the dentists office, I assumed they would slap on a temporary cap and schedule me an appointment when they had more time. But, as the cursed luck would have it, a couple of their morning appointments didn't show--so they had plenty of time to gas, needle, drill, dig, mold & polish me--2 1/2 hours as a matter of fact.

I'm not generally a freak at the dentist. But, yesterday--there was no warning. I went in expecting a gentle nudge -- and left with a jaw so numb--it felt like I'd been punched by the Governor or California. So, as you judge the story I'm about to tell--I hope you'll lower the bar a bit.

It all began very innocently -- with an offer of laughing gas to calm me before two nasty shots were administered. I can't say that I love the gas. I don't hate it - but usually when they ask me if I want it I tell them no. It just makes me feel funny--(and not in a haha laughing gas is the best comedian ever kind of way either) and sometimes a little queasy to my stomach. For some reason, when they asked if I wanted gas? I said, Sure. Why. Not.

Then came the shots. One in the roof of my mouth. One in my gum. Yes. It. Hurt. Very. Much. I kept wishing that the laughing gas would knock me out. With a death-grip on the chair--and a few deep breaths--I almost cried made it through fine.

Now, loyal readers, what I'm about to say will probably make you laugh hysterically. You'll think I'm bearing a falsehood. But, what my next statement is the truth. I tell no lie. Here it is:

I do not have a big mouth.
{Clarification:
Big mouth--in the sense of
open wide...not...
..."man, will she ever shut up?"}

So when the Dr. put a big rubber block in my mouth to prop it open...and my mouth was open so wide I couldn't swallow...I'll admit it...I freaked out.

With the prop in place the dentist began to drill. I tried to find that happy place...that place where swallowing wasn't just a luxury but a way of life...but I failed. As soon as the dentist took his hand out of my mouth, I ripped out the block and swallowed--then replaced the block back into my mouth. The hygienist and dentist looked at other and then back to me--a little strangely. Little did they know, it would get stranger.

I tried to lay quietly as the dentist grinded my tooth. I tried to lay quietly and not freak out since I couldn't swallow when I felt like it. I tried to lay quietly as I searched for my happy place.

Have we established the fact that I tried to lay quietly? Good. Because--all of a sudden I started to get all hot and dizzy. I thought I was going to pass out. The doc has just asked for some other tool to stick in my mouth. When without even realizing what I was doing - I ripped the gas mask off my face, sat up, and took a couple of deep breaths.

"Are you done with the nitrous oxide ?" the hygienist asked, her eyes wide open.

Oh, I'm done honey--I thought. "Ummm. Yes, I think so," I said very calmly, like nothing freaky had just happened.

I laid back down and they commenced with the grinding, the drilling, the...you get the picture.

Four more times during my long procedure--I removed the block from my mouth to swallow. Four more times, the dentist and his lovely assistant looked at me a little strangely.

Then, the doc began to prep me with a fancy wooden splinter -- not sure what it was for --but I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to drop down my throat. "Don't swallow that!" he said, as if I was so nuts with the swallowing at this point--I might have attempted such a thing.

Finally, the torture was finished. All that was left, was to get the mold of my back tooth so they could make a crown. As she was suctioning around my back tooth to get it dry and such--she slipped a little to far down my throat and gagged me with her suctioner - to the point I almost threw up--in her face.

At this point, I began to bribe myself like I do my kids. Myself said to myself, "Now, Nicole, if you can avoid doing one more nutty thing, I'll buy you a diet coke at Harts, a big pink sugar cookie, and I'll let you take a nap when you get home."

I realized I had finally found my happy place! (of course--it was about 2 hours too late..but still).

Thankfully, the temporary cap was cemented in place. I didn't freak out TOO much - I mean, considering what I had been through--I totally could've went dental all over the place.

And yes, myself rewarded myself with a diet coke at Harts on the way home.

Confession Time: When's the last time you went dental at the dentist?

5 comments:

Jolene said...

Holy crap I am laughing so hard - I wish I could have been there to see you rip that mask off. I mean I wish I could have been there to buy you your Diet Coke. Sounds like real good times at your house.

Aloicoius said...

At least you didn't go Anna Nicole Smith all over at the dentist. LOL

Pam said...

Nic, your dental trauma is too much to bear. It makes a very entertaining story though. I wonder sometimes when I am in the dentist chair and they are doing all sorts of weird, almost inhumane things to my mouth if anyone else has ever had to go through this. I am glad to see now that I am not the only one.

Have Dentists ever had work done on themselves? I ask because I can't imagine that they would willingly put people through such torture if they really knew how it felt. HHHMMMM I think I'm going to ask next time I'm there. :)

Well, I hope the Diet Coke helped ease the memory and pain. I love your idea though...I think I will bribe myself the next time I'm laying back choking on my spit

Shannon said...

Holy cow! I have never had such an experience! I have had a dentist with enormous hands! I think they should have a max size aloud! I just want to let you know that I Wedding tagged you, so check out my blog for the Q's.

Heather said...

Man, I am almost in tears. I feel bad to laugh but I can feel your pain. I recently went in for a ROOT CANAL, my first one. My teeth have gone down the flusher since I have had my babes! I got all hot and red when he told me I needed a root canal. The dentist asked if I was ok . It wasn't too bad, but I do get anxiety laying there. The Happy place is so FAR out of site when laying in a dental chair. Last year he wanted to pull my wisdom teeth right there in the office, I said heck no I need to be put out. It was SO worth it to me (not my hubby) to pay a couple hundred dollars to make it a pleasant experience. Sorry probably too much info for you.
Glad you survived, I am sure that Diet Coke was GREAT!!