Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day Extravaganza

I am a mother who enjoys Mother's Day.

I have friends (and even my own mom) who do not enjoy Mother's Day because of the guilt they have for what type of mother they think they should be. Maybe I'm so far down on the totem pole of motherhood that the guilt escapes me?

Whatever the reason, I am grateful to the inventors of Mother's Day. I mean, what other day do you get to shirk your household duties, ignore your children, ditch out on making Sunday dinner, make your hubby do everything, laze around--all for the sake of celebrating how good you are at doing the things you are purposefully avoiding for the day?

Now, I don't mean to gush - but yesterday was about as fabulous as it could possibly get. Our family woke up early and headed to down to my mom's house. The kids gave me their presents on the way there -- among the gifts were some great books (including Stephenie Meyer's new book "The Host" which I can't wait to get started on) and a jamba juice gift card. But, the best thing ever were their homemade gifts.

Card from Aussie

{He did it in pencil- so I don't know if you can read his words or see the pictures--but they are classic (specially the Elvis pooping on my bed one) If you click on the picture it will make it bigger. Here's what it says (using his exact wording) going in order from left to right.
Remember when......We first saw Elves and we were so exited......You flooded the house. It was kinda funny but it was messy......Elves pooped on your bed. it was funny......We went to Lagoon and we went on the pirate shipe ride?......Happy Mother's Day 2008......We went to disney world and went on the tower of terror......Also Mount Everest was fun......When I sleep walked looking for a book......When jay left me inside eating cheerios and Savvy was asleep -- (a funny story for another post).

Savvy's Mother's Day Bookmark


Card from Elvis


For the past 4 years, Jay has made me a little booklet of mother-love called "A Good Mother, A Good Daughter". In it she has super funny pic's of the family with commentary. In the past, she's just gone through my old pics for her book. But this year she went digital. {DH does not feel comfortable in me posting the pics of all the kids - so I'm going to post a couple of edited pics--so you can get the idea.}


Alas, I digress. Once we got to the OC, we attended sacrament meeting in my mom's ward (my old home ward). The meeting was great - both speakers (one of my former Stake Presidents--now a high councilman) talked about the importance of family scripture reading - and I felt their testimonies so strong! Their talks totally motivated me to just do it!

There were THREE musical numbers (oh-how I love my old OC small town ward--I am a fan of the music!). First the primary kids and some ladies (some of them were my old YW leaders) sang my all time favorite Mother's Day song from the primary book "Mother Tell me the Story". Then a couple of glorious YW played a violin/piano duet of "Come Thou Fount" -- which is my all time favorite hymn! Our closing song was sung by the ward choir. My old ward has had the tradition for years - that the ward choir sings the closing song. Now, this particular song wasn't one of my fav's (hey 2 out of 3 isn't bad) but the choir was just so nostalgic to me that I smiled all the way through it.

After church, we got the standard mother's day plant (and one of my neighbors scored me a geranium in my ward - so I got a 2fer!). Then we headed to my mom's for a scrumptious dinner (in which all I had to do was bring the buns) of BBQ pork, delicious pasta salad (made by Grandma S.), yummy birthday (my mom's bday was also that day)/mother's day cake (courtesy of Aunt J and Walmart), pork and beans, sweet watermelon, chips, and plenty of diet coke.

We spent the rest of the day visiting with...

...Family...my Grandma and Grandpa S came down - and it was good to see them. I was able to chat and watch some of the Jazz game with them.

Grandma T and Auntie J were also there for the festivities--it was fun to see them--and visit. (Boy, was Grams mad when one of the Laker players cheapshotted one of the Jazz players!)

I hadn't seen my brother, Jed, forever so it was fun to see him and his cute wife, Jo and their kids.

My other brother Zach was there with his wife Ali - and she and I had a good time laughing at the men cheering on the Jazz.

Jilly and I had good times visiting together - even though we always do it on the phone --it's always better in person.

I also got to hang out a bit with my baby bro, Ange, and his cute little fiancee, Anna - she's a living doll.

Dad knitted more hats for the grandkids - Savvy got two! A brown with a hot pink stripe (she named it "Fudgie") and a blue one with a yellow stripe (I think it's going to be Sally 2). Aussie got a red one with a black stripe. So naturally, they wore them the ENTIRE day - but they did look awfully cute - even if it is the wrong season.

Let's not forget the most important reason why we were down in the OC - to celebrate my mom's b-day and mother's day--of course she got the short end of this deal--because she had to be the hostess with the mostest. Love you Mom!!!

Sigh. A nice, low key Sunday. Filled with family, presents and diet coke. It really was a great day.

7 comments:

Heather said...

What a fun day! Ah, diet coke is your vice! My son made a book and one of the questions he had to finish answering was "what does your mom daydream about..." he writes "my mom daydreams about Dr. Pepper"!! He drew a bunch of Dr. P. cans and some little ones talking to each other! Nice- huh?

Shannon said...

Sounds like fun to me! I forgot our Mom's have the same bday. We were supossed to go to my mom's for dinner, but Andrea was running a fever so we stayed home. I was sad not to see her on this special day. We are going to try to make up for it next weekend!

Jolene said...

I am with you on the fact that the day set aside to show what a good mother you are - you hardly do any mothering? That was going to be the topic of my Mother's day blog post - but I will probablly never get to it... I'm so off of the blogging wagon right now - it is speeding by and I can't catch up!

Aloicoius said...

Ya know, I've kind of switched to Mtn. Dew as of late but when I'm in the OC with your folks, there's just something about the special connection that DC folks have. And I want to be a part of that!

Beeswax said...

Mother's Day is just getting good, don't you think? You get awesome cards about pooping elvis' and stuff. THen one year, you'll get hallmark, and it'll be downhill from there.

Gayle Menlove said...

Sounds like a great Mother's Day, I wish I had been in OC, I missed out! Sounds great

Pam said...

Your Mother's day sounded magical. Yes, I agree the homemade cards from the kids always tops my list of great gifts.
Glad you got to spend the day with the ones you love.