Monday, May 19, 2008

Saturday's Warrior

Poor Savvy has been sick since Thursday. With nausea and a fever as symptoms, I thought it might be the flu. By Saturday morning at 5 am - she was on fire with the fever and the nausea -- and a lovely new addition a sore throat. I just knew she had to have strep.

Not a great day for strep by the way. She had to miss a fabulous birthday party at Boondocks. Plus, both Savvy and Aussie had their last game of the soccer season--and had to miss it (DH was out of town). I had a fabulous "Women's Conference Stake Activity" -- that I was planning on attending. Add to the mix that we had some fun and lovely visitors from Idaho (cuzin Jenny and her DH and cute kids--I'm just crossing my fingers that no one in her fam gets infected or I'm heading to Boise to play nursemaid).

Sigh. A festive Saturday it was not.

So, at high noon, we headed to the doc-in-the-box (Instacare) -- and because we're living right lucky -- we walked in and were seen right away. That was a new and choice experience. We felt like royalty since we were the only ones there (then a dog bite victim came in and that joyous feeling left us real quick-OUCH!).

Anyway, a nurse--came in and swabbed her throat. Feeling sorry for her, he said, "Would you like a juice box?" He then brought her a Capri Sun--and some Tylenol cause the fever was raging again. Such service--and with a smile! I've decided that male nurses are underappreciated in this world.

A little bit later, the doc came in, took one look at her throat and said -- oh yeah its strep -- 5th case today. He proceeded to fill out the lovely golden ticket prescription of Omnicef.

As he was filling it out, I asked him if it was possible to have Strep for a month and not know it (because Savvy had been sick with similar symptoms 3 weeks ago). He said, yes it was possible. Then he paused and asked her if it burned when she urinated?

"Yes," Savvy said (news to me, by the way--and the mother of the year award goes to...someone else).

The doc decided he'd better run a urine test - just to be on the safe side--and said to Savvy, "It's really not a big deal, honey, your mama will help you."

{In the meantime, I'm thinking - whatever Dr. Not a Big Deal -- you're not the one whose hand is going to get peed on.}

Until Saturday, I had missed out on helping a 9 year girl old pee in a cup. It ended up being a pretty hilarious experience. The nurse gave me the instructions to: First, write the name on the cup. Second, get a clean catch. Third, put on the lid. Fourth, put in the little "urine sample" tray on the paper towel. Then he left us to do the deed.

As I was writing her name on the cup, Savvy said, "Mom, I have to pee really bad."

"Good," I said.

Just then I heard the sound of peeing - only I was still writing on the cup.

"Savvy! Stop! What are you doing?" I said.

Confused, she said, "Giving my urine sample."

I explained that the urine needed to be in the cup to count as a sample.

"Ohhhh," she said. "But, what if I pee on your hand?"

"Oh honey. You will. Trust me on that," I replied.

Once she got over the fact that it was okay to pee on mommies hand, not only did she pee all over my hand, but the cup, the toilet seat and part of the floor she did just fine.

As we were washing our hands, Savvy got the giggles. "Mom, it was so funny when I peed on your hand," she laughed.

"Yes. Very. Funny." I replied.

"No, mom, you should've seen your face. It was all squishy and your eyes were closed," she said, still laughing.

"Really?" I started to laugh.

Did I mention the bathroom is really echoey?

By the time we walked out of the bathroom, we were both laughing pretty hard. Our nurse didn't look very amused -- but at this point it was either laugh or cry. We opted for levity.

As we waited in our little room for the results, Savvy looked at me and started to giggle again. I told her to stop laughing or the doc would think she was faking sick and take away her golden ticket. She laughed harder. (I think there may have been a little delirium involved - because she was close to laughing so hard she was crying--I wisely stopped making jokes).

Then the doc walked in and informed us that not only did she have strep - but she also had a bladder infection! The poor thing! No wonder she had been so miserable. I was so glad the doc thought to ask her those questions. He replaced our golden ticket of Omnicef (once a day) with one for Augmentin (grr-twice a day) -- and sent us on our merry (yes, we were still laughing) way.

Funny of the weekend: Cuzin Jen knew I was taking Savvy in for a throat culture. So, when I told her that Savvy had not only strep--but also a bladder infection, Jenny said, "Sheesh, how far down did they have to swab her to get that result?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did Dr. No Big Deal hear you two chuckle heads in the bathroom? That is so funny about Savy going while you're labeling. That must've been nice to have something to laugh at while cleaning up yourself and the entire bathroom. You guys are funny. I hope she's feeling a lot better. No 9 yr. old should have to suffer w/ a stinkin' bladder infection- they're just too terrible!

Amy said...

Man, she was sick! I can't believe she didn't say anything - bladder infections are the worst. I thought I had the Mother of the Year award all to myself after I let my 5 month old get a sunburn at Disneyland but now I see I've got competition!

Pam said...

Be happy that the Dr. knew anything about anything because I took Kiana in a couple years ago because I suspected a bladder infection and we did the whole pee in the cup thing. Although mine didn't need to pee and she started crying and we were in the bathroom for like an hour it seemed with me trying to beg her to pee. I think she thought that the cup would hurt her or something - who knows it was painful for both of us. Then the substitute Dr.(they are about as good as substitute teachers if you know what I mean) told us it wasn't that. And didn't give us anything to help her. We ended up at the Urgent Care a few days later with a crying, histerically in pain daughter(Mother of the year Award moment). Come to find out it was what I had figured all along. 24 hrs. of anitibiotics later life was sweet again.

I think that as mothers we should just have the golden tickets filled out for us at home we are right most of the time anyway.
Hope Savy is feeling better now.