Sunday, June 22, 2008

Blame it on the brain Sun

On Thursday and Friday, I had the thrilling opportunity to sit during the freakin' hottest time of the day sun for 4 hours watch my darling daughter, Jay, participate in a swim meet.

Jay did great (improving on most of her times) and the two of us had some good bonding moments (okay--mostly I spent my time spying on her and the love of her life...a cute boy on the swim team).

So, here's the thing--Sun+Nicole=Shenanigans. Too much sun makes me physically ill--I mean it really wipes me out. Factor in the whole fair skin thing--and I'm a walking, talking, complaining lobster after 30 minutes.

At the end of the meet Friday, I was feeling pretty good about my interaction with Mr. Sun. It hadn't had any ill effects.

As a matter of fact, I was even feeling good enough to stop by the library and pick up the 3 books I had on hold {Frindle for Aussie, A Lion and a Lamb for me, and The Thirteenth Tale for me}.

I didn't want Jay waiting in the hot van, so I asked her to come into the library with me. She hesitated because she was still channeling her Au natural look in her swimsuit & shorts. But, I promised her we'd be quick -- and so she gave in.

The minute she gave in and shut her locked door behind her...was the minute I realized the keys were still in the ignition. We were locked out--with no cell phone (because why would we need our cell phones in the library when they are contraband?).

Luckily, I had ONE phone number committed to memory--so I called my good friend, Mary and she was able to pick us up and take me home to get a key.

I blame the sun.

Mr. Sun continued to plague me throughout the weekend. You may recall my embarrassing loss of a vital piece of underclothing at my sisters?

I blame the sun.

And then there was today. We had planned to have a family BBQ with my DH's brother and sister-in-law and kids. KT was bringing the beef and I was providing the divinely marinated shish-ka-bob chicken and delectable veggies. M-mmm Good!

There was only one problem. I forgot to make the chicken. Oh sure, I remembered to make my mandarin orange tapioca salad (a crowd pleaser) and my cranberry-spinach green salad. But, the main course? Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

You can bet that as the guests arrived--I placed the blame where it was duly warranted.

Oh that Mr. Sun. He is a tricksy one.

5 comments:

Jolene said...

I think this was your best public service announcement. I am realizing that I have a lot of the same symptoms and now I know what to blame it on! The sun! This is the advantage of living in the Valley of the Sun - whenever I am forgetful or overly "blonde" I will blame it on the sun!!!

thank you!

Heather said...

That "SUN" does take its toll. Boy, is it stronger than ever here! I think it does fry our brain cells!! I love hearing about all your shenanigans!!

Pam said...

I hear ya sister! "Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. golden Sun please don't shine down on me" taken from Barney although altered a bit. That is our family song when it gets toooooo stinkin' hot. Which it is right now.
I just get plain slow and lazy when it gets too hot. The forgetting is pretty normal for me, early alzheimers I believe, so I can't completely blame Mr. Sun for that but boy he sure puts a damper on things and gives me sweat rings which are so not cool.
Boo to hot and double boo to locking keys in cars. hehehe

Aloicoius said...

I am really over sunshine right now. Our A/C at work is broken and my fan is not doing it's job!

Gayle Menlove said...

Oooooh Mr. Sun, now that explains a lot of things. Glad to know the source of my messing up. I'm Glad to have that mystery finally solved!