Monday, June 30, 2008

The Talk

Yesterday was D-Day--my DH and I talked in church.
Of course, we have known about it for a month--but naturally I didn't start my talk until Saturday night!

{Okay--so I promise that wasn't my plan--but the month was filled with the biggest bunch of busy shenanigans and the week was filled with even more: enrichment night, RS craft night, a last minute family reunion at my house on the weekend--are you feeling sorry for me yet?}

So, Saturday night, at 630 {with family still reunioning} I barricaded myself in the office and started my talk. {DH was kind of enough to take charge of crowd control (kids) and diet coke refills.}

I worked on it till about 1230 am. Then I got up on Sunday morning at 7 am. I ended up finishing it around 10 am.

At which point, Savvy said, "Wow, mom! You write talks way faster than dad--he's been writing his for 3 weeks!"

{Aren't I just a wonderful role model for my children? heehee}

I really do work best under pressure, so I wasn't feeling to self-conscious at my witching-hour written talk...

...Until after church.

I was complimenting my kids on how great they were during sacrament meeting. No fighting. No going in and out. No well not too much talking.

And then the lovely children whom I gave life to, began to give me the compliments of a lifetime.

Savvy: "You did good mom, but why was your voice so high and squeaky? It sounded like a fake voice."

Aussie: "You did good mom, but I could tell you were really nervous."

Jay: "You did good mom, but did you know your g's were showing on your left shoulder the whole time?"
Nice.

Obviously, there will be no treats for them for the week--and I'm upping the slavery!

3 comments:

Gayle Menlove said...

Hey, I wished I could have heard your talks, I am sure they were great, at least if you follow the same format as your blog, yours would be great!

Aloicoius said...

We're speaking twins! I spoke in church on Sunday too. I totally feel you about performing better under pressure. I purposely wait to start my talks until Saturday, although I try to read a couple of things throughout the week to get the juices flowing. I'm sure you did awesome! I felt like a geek because my talk was only about 10 minutes long. I speak really fast. LOL!

Pam said...

Kids you gotta love em. Sometimes they do make it a little harder to do that though. I bet your talk was fabulous. I keep telling you the last minute things are always the best ...at least that is what I keep telling myself. :)