Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Greatest Snow On Earth

There's supposed to be a big snowstorm today.

A storm of epic proportions.

So big, El Jefe came home from work early...and is planning on working from home tomorrow.

So big, that several places I went to today had signs in their windows saying they were closing at 5 pm due to the pending storm.

So big, that I was talking to my sister earlier today and she told me that all of the universities and colleges were canceling classes tomorrow.

For a storm that hasn't hit yet.

Jilly said, "We live in Utah, people. It snows every year. What's the big deal? They're acting like it's Y2K!"

I had to agree.

{At least until tomorrow, when I'm living in a snow cave, and all those gloom and doomers say,
"I told you so!"}

I think Savvy summed it up best when she called home from her bestie's house and asked, "Mom! Is the storm here yet?"

"Look out the window and see for yourself," I kindly said.

"We are looking at the window, and we don't see anything happening," she answered.

P.S. It's times like this that I wish I lived a little bit closer to my sister, Jilly, cause she's the one with all the food storage. I don't think my year supply of gum & diet coke is going to cut it.

P.S.S. Jordyn's swim coach is also feeling the pain of the storm...here's an email we just received updating us about practice today and tomorrow.

I laughed out loud.

"Due to the oncoming biggest storm in the history of Utah, Dimple Dell will be closed tomorrow morning. We will have to cancel morning practice because of this. In the unlikely event that we are able to dig out of our snow caves, we will plan on having practice Wednesday afternoon at 3 pm for those that will still be in town. If you have the chance to flee the oncoming carnage, have a great holiday. Those of us left in town will adopt the survival techniques of the Eskimos to get by."

3 comments:

Aloicoius said...

Good thing your kids' coach is a smart ass like their mom!

One Sassy Mama said...

True that..hehe

Sumshy said...

K, reading this a little late, but here was my experience.
• My office closed at 3 that day, and said to call in the morning to make sure we were open before coming in.
• The roads at 3 were like 5 o’clock rush hour, and I spoke to a few guys in my neighborhood whose employers closed early as well.
• Before the first snow flake, all the private Catholic schools in Salt Lake closed school for Wednesday – on Tuesday! They didn’t even wait for Wednesday morning!
• The radio spoke of the event in Armageddon terms
• Saratoga Springs posted a cautionary message on their site, as well as a similar message from Rocky Mountain Power (We barely got a skiff that night)

Better safe than sorry, but it’s still funny.