This month for book club we read "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. I wasn't able to go to book club last month when they chose the book (May was the month of the sick at our house), so I knew nothing about it except for the title.
I thought...could it be...a fluffy book...perhaps a spin-off of "Charlie's Angels"? No such luck. BUT, it was a darling book nonetheless.
"The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" is based in Africa. It is about the life of an African woman, Precious, who starts up her own detective agency.
Each chapter is a different story about how Precious solves crimes with good, old-fashioned common sense. I thought the story was very clever. I liked it so much that I plan on reading the rest of the series.
{Best of all...each person (out of 7) in our book club--actually finished the book and even enjoyed it (the ages of our book club ladies range from 36 (I'm the baby) to 65ish--finding a book we ALL liked is a first for us!}
So, if you are looking for a fun & quick book to read this summer...check out "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" -- and let me know how you like it!
{Oh--and next month's read? "A Lion and a Lamb" by Rand H. Packer...has anyone had a chance to read it? I'll keep you posted.}
4 comments:
Sounds like a fun book. I will have to add that to my ever growing list of good books to read. The only problem is finding the time to get to that list. :)
I just requested it at the library - I hope it comes in before my vacation next week. I will need some quick and easy books for the road.
I read one called Blue shoes and Happiness in that series. It was fun. I haven't been back for more, though. Not yet!
Nicole it is 27x32. You guys with shorter names would be cute in a long skinny frame??
Post a Comment